Many groups support St. Columba by activities that take little time at their meetings, but make a huge difference in the help that we can provide to those in need.
The following is a list of ideas that your group can implement. More specifics can be found on our handout.
1. Collect items that we need at the Day Center
- Gently used clothes
- Cleaning products
2. Make sandwiches for our Day Center
- Groups/families get together and purchase supplies to make sandwiches: bread, baggies, cheese, ham (or another lunch meat), face masks and disposable gloves.
- Make sandwiches and put each sandwich into a sandwich bag, put all sandwiches into the bread sleeve and deliver to St. Columba.
- Social distancing will be practiced during delivery.
- Please wear gloves and masks when making sandwiches and practice safe food handling (e.g., not leaving our perishable items).
- More detailed information on this opportunity to get involved can be found in our Procedure for Making Sandwiches and our Sandwich Agreement which is required of all groups/families to certify that they practiced safe food handling.
Please call Alicia at 757-627-6748 if you still have questions after reading these documents.
3. Create hygiene kits for homeless individuals
Include hotel/sample size of some of the following:
4. Special occasion treats
- E.g., baggies of Easter candy or cookies for Easter, Valentine