St. Columba receives much of its funding through government grants. These grants require anywhere from a 1:5 match (for every 5 dollars of government money, we have to come up with 1 dollar) to a 1:1 match (for every dollar of grant money we have to match with 1 dollar).
While a majority of the match can be done through actual dollars, we are also permitted by some funding sources to use in-kind donations. Items such as food, clothes, and household items are assigned a value and counted towards our match. Not only are these items going directly to help those in need, they are also helping us meet our match to continue to receive grant funding.
How your dollars can impact our organization and the people we serve:
- $27 – Provides emergency food from our Food Pantry for one family for 3 days. Food bags
contain a variety of canned items, dry goods, bread and pastries.
- $70 – Provides a one month bus pass for a client in Next Step Transitional Housing to look for
- $166 – Provides bagged lunches for one Day Center client for one month. Bagged lunches contain sandwiches, granola bars, beef jerky, bottled water and other items (pastries, fruit,
juice) as available.
- $300 – Provides a complete set of clothing, hygiene kit, laundromat gift card and bus pass for one Day Center client. Clothing set includes jeans, a pack of boxers, three pairs of socks, two long sleeve shirts, two t-shirts, belt, coat or poncho (depending on season) and reusable masks. Hygiene kit includes a selection of toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, lotion, comb, razor, hand sanitizer, tissues, disposable masks. Laundromat gift cards are loaded to do one full load and purchase detergent. Clients also receive a bus pass to get to and from the laundromat.
- $500 – Provides utilities for the Day Center for one month. Includes electricity, water, phone and internet service.
St. Columba always welcomes financial gifts through the following avenues.
Donations can be made instantly through PayPal using the Make a Donation button below.
As of 2021, we have introduced a new, secure way to make monthly or one time donations from your bank account or credit card through Give Lively. Please see the information below to learn more about how you can support our mission and share with others to spread the word!
If you wish to mail a check, it can be sent to:
St. Columba Ecumenical Ministries, Inc.
2114 Lafayette Blvd
Norfolk, VA 23509
In addition to financial gifts, we also depend on in-kind donations from our supporters to maintain our programs. The following are items that we frequently need for our various programs.
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Canned beans
- Dry goods (cereals, rice, pasta)
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Soups and stews
- Canned tuna
- Peanut butter
- Spaghetti sauce
- Paper bags
- Plastic bags
- Gently used men’s clothing,” specifically men’s jeans and light colored t-shirts
- Gently used women’s casual clothing
- Men’s pants
- Light color t-shirts
- New Socks and Underwear/boxers
- Rain ponchos
- Trial/hotel size toiletries
- Spray deodorant
- Antibacterial cleaners
- Lysol disinfectant spray
- 3-Ring Binders
Next Step Transitional Housing
- Twin size sheets
We accept donations at our office Monday through Thursday 8 am – 2 pm.
All donations are tax deductible. Any in-kind donations not used by St. Columba are re-donated. We do not resell any items provided to us for financial gain.